Tips For Talking To The Media About Your Research
Young Investigator Lunch Workshop
Date/Time: Saturday, May 2, 2020 - 12:15 PM to 2:00 PM
Log in to Add to My Schedule
Publish or Perish May No Longer Apply
Dr Christian Barton
Dr Barton will cover the:
- Limitations of current academic journal models
- Opportunities to improve dissemination and knowledge translation through digital and social media
- Influence of main stream media and reach that can be achieved (Altmetrics)
Group work facilitated by Dr Christian Barton
In groups of ~5, share your own experiences in dealing with social/digital/mainstream media.
Professor Ewa Roos
Professor Roos will share some of her own experiences with using digital/social and mainstream media to disseminate her research findings (both positive and negative).
Professor Elena Losina
Importance of creating clear and engaging messaging to reach people, and how to do it, including having a go in small groups.
- Tips on preparing for a media interview
- What to ask when a journalist calls, and how to engage a journalist
- Techniques for different media forms (TV, radio, print, social media, digital)
Discussion (Q & A)
To become familiar with how the media industry works.
To learn how to prepare for a media interview.
To learn interview skills and techniques that can help communicate research findings.